Refresh your Skills in the Service Industry!
Start a Career in Hospitality!
Florida International University has partnered with CONNECT Professional & Continuing Education Consortium (CONNECT P&CE) to deliver unique, customized, specialized training for corporate and non-profit entities looking to elevate the skill level of their team members or clients. CONNECT P&CE has more than 15 years of experience in the hospitality and luxury retail industry. Hospitality is a high-growth industry in South Florida according to the One Community One Goal, Miami Dade’s economic development strategic plan, and around the world, with much potential for qualified workers at all levels.
Specialized Training for Independent Hoteliers and Industry Professionals – Short term, two-track program designed to assist you to elevate the service standards of boutique hotels to those of international brands. Tracks will focus on Hospitality Service Fundamentals and Hospitality Service Leadership. Among topics to be covered are:
- Developing your property’s unique service style
- Employee Selection & Development
- Food & Beverage
- Communicating your Property’s Value Proposition Externally (Marketing, PR, Web)
- Leadership Communication
- Motivation through Inspiration
- High Performing Teams
- Problem Solving
Service Excellence – Four-hour program for anyone who works with the public. This program will teach a simple, yet powerful set of skills for delivering exemplary service and quickly recovering from service errors. The program can be included as part of all certification courses and can be customized.
Life & Employability Skills – The Service Excellence program can be scaled up to 20 hours by adding customizable four-hour modules in communications, hotel operations, diversity, employability success, job hunting and interviewing, etiquette, managing finances, interacting with luxury clients, among others.
Service Management & Service Leadership – The best client experiences require a culture of service that is created and supported by a corporate culture. These courses ensure that the guest and associate experience are consistent with the goals of the organization while preparing new supervisors, first-time managers, and rising executives with the skills they need to ensure exemplary service goals are met by high performing teams.
Bartending & Bar Back Skills – These high demand positions offer excellent entry-points to hospitality careers. The program includes a ServSafe Food Handler certification in addition to extensive job knowledge and skill practice. From glassware to muddling, lemon wedges to elderflower tonic, the preparation is extensive.
Culinary Arts and Food & Beverage Fundamentals – A variety of courses, from ServSafe Certification and knife skills, to a complete 70-hour culinary arts program, can be delivered with hands-on skills practice in a variety of locations, formats and course designs.
Upon completion of any of the programs below, participants will receive an FIU Certificate of Participation and a Digital Credential. These programs meet the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (AH&LEI) certification and are available for entry-level trainees and new employees:
- Breakfast Attendant – A professional in a front-line food service position at a select-service lodging property.
- Front Desk Representative – A professional who meets the needs of guests staying at a hotel.
- Guestroom Attendant – A professional who maintains exacting standards of cleanliness and organization in guestrooms and throughout the hotel property, also providing a guest service.
- Kitchen Cook – A professional in a back-of-the-house position in a food service operation.
- Restaurant Server – A professional who creates outstanding dining experiences for guests.
- Maintenance Employee – A professional who performs a variety of responsibilities for ensuring hotel maintenance standards are maintained.
- Lodging Security Officer – A professional able to handle routine security activities and emergencies by exercising sound judgment and practical skills.
- Banquet Set Up – A professional with the knowledge and skills to set up, dismantle, and reset function meeting spaces. (by special arrangement with AH&LEI)